Primary Function: Responsible for assisting the Shelter Manager in managing the daily operations of the shelter and internal systems, management of staff and volunteers, overseeing intake and adoption of animals. This position ensures all areas of the shelter are operating at the highest standard possible. This position has room for advancement.
Shelter Manager Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the daily activities of the McCook Humane Society Shelter to ensure safe, sanitary and humane operations that are consistent with the Society policy and in compliance with all governing regulations. This includes the proper care and feeding of the animals in our facility.
- Oversee or perform the intake, release, screening and selection, and adoption of animals in accordance with Society policies. Manage animal inventory and review space allocations to ensure plans for specific animal needs are being met.
- Prepare, generate and/or review shelter activities and operating reports, supply orders, and safety inspections. Make sure that appropriate quantities of all supplies are on hand at all times.
- Ensure that high quality customer service is provided to the public by all staff and volunteers.
- Supervise all shelter personnel and carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Society policies and applicable labor laws.
- Oversee training throughout shelter of staff and volunteers including training staff on policies and procedures.
- Communicate and collaborate with the Board of Directors. Manager will be required to attend and provide a shelter report at the monthly Board of Directors meeting.
- Oversee proper maintenance and professional appearance of the facility.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, lawmakers, law enforcement and others to help achieve the goals of the organization.
- Coordinate tours of the shelter, donation events, and adoption events both at the shelter and in the community.
- Work closely with contract cities and personnel.
- Conduct meetings with staff to review procedures, discuss workplace issues. Share ideas to improve animal care, the customer service experience and the organization in general.
- Discuss job performance with employees and conduct performance reviews and disciplinary actions.
- Prepare and issue work schedules and duty assignments of employees and volunteers to ensure shifts are staffed appropriately.
- Recruitment and supervision of foster families as the need arises.
- Work with the board of directors on grant applications. Make the board aware of any grants that become available that would fit and help solve a need within the shelter.
- Other duties as needed.
Job Related and Essential Qualifications:
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in a lead supervisory role. Prior experience in an animal shelter, kennel or veterinary environment with a public or private agency preferred.
- Veterinary Technician Certification preferred but not required. Ability to vaccinate, administer medications upon veterinarian’s orders.
- Work well and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with the public, staff, vendors and volunteers.
- Must have a valid driver license and maintain insurability to operate agency vehicles as a condition of employment.
- Work with and restrain animals of all sizes.
- Oversee and plan projects with little or no supervision.
- Ability to multitask and problem solve efficiently in a fast paced environment.
- State and Federal laws, local ordinances and regulations relating to animal care and OSHA compliance
- Safe/humane handling of animals of varying sizes, temperaments and strengths
- Various breeds of dogs, cats, and other domestic animals, various kinds of animal behavior and illness identification
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, social media, and website. Ability to learn other necessary programs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required along with attention to detail.
- Usage of office equipment – computer, copier, fax machine, telephone, etc.
- Requires the ability to stand, walk, run, sit and kneel, crouch or crawl and climb different levels of height. The use of hands and arms are required in the handling of pets, supplies, and tools.
- Perform works, which involves frequent lifting, carrying and or pushing of 50 lbs. without assistance; and occasionally lift, push and/or move up to 100 lbs. or more as a team.
- Dealing with possible unruly, vicious, sick, injured and dangerous animals and impounding the same safely and humanely. Possible exposure to parasites and infectious diseases
- Dealing with possible hostile public
- Exposure to all types of weather conditions
- Heavy and fast-paced workload; strenuous physical activity
- The noise level in performing this job varies depending on the task being performed
- Full-time including weekends and holidays. Will also be required to be on call at times.
- Salary is based on experience with a starting range of $35,000 to $45,000
- Paid time off
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Animal sheltering: 3 years (preferred)
- Supervisory : 3 years (preferred)
- A demonstrated track record as positive outgoing compassionate individual with hands on ability, excellent proven organizational, management and leadership skills, and a dedication to ensuring best practices are followed.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. Duties, responsibilities, or qualifications may change at any time, with or without notice.